Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Thursday, July 16, 2009
A female calf named Suria
Getting down from the elephant is so easy
At the sanctuary there was an orphaned female calf which attracted our attention. Her name is Suria. She is only a calf but needs more than 100kg of food daily. She eats bread for breakfast, sugar cane for lunch and fruits like water melons, papaya and potatoes while corn is for her dinner. I learnt that the rangers would let Suria roam in the nearby jungle every four days to familiarise her with the jungle surroundings and also to help her to herd with the wild jumbos in the area.
Cool and Fun Facts about the life, behavior and personality of Elephants
- Life Span - elephants can live for up to 70 years
- Elephants normally walk about 4 mph
- Elephants are able to swim for long distances
- Elephants spend about 16 hours a day eating
- Despite the size of ears the elephant’s hearing is poor
- African elephants have bigger ears than Indian elephants
- African elephants ears are used to aid ventilation
- One of the softest parts of their body is at the back of the ears, which is called the knuckle
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Here are some sea and beach quotes :-
'It's hard for me to put into words why I like beach so much.
Everything about it is renewing for me,
almost like theraphy..'Beach Therapy'
The sea calls - come live in my heart and pay no rent...
Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches
---From "The Princess Bride"-Wesley to Buttercup
The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea
Our memories of the ocean will linger on, long after our footprints in the sand are gone